06 June 2008

Weeks 2-4: E-Pod Internship

Things got busy... and, as usual, I forgot to post. :)  So I'll do an update of the past 3 weeks in one post.  Actually, it's 2 weeks.  For week 3, I was sick and then travelled to Indiana... so I only worked one day. :)

As I said, the last few weeks have been very busy.  The E-Pod is almost at full capacity.  We've gone from 2 people in my first week to 8 people this week... and 2 more will show up next week.  It's a full crew; 5 of which are UM students! So it's been fun meeting new people and collaborating with some friends as well.

As I mentioned before, I am working with the street team and radio stations.  The street team has taken over most of my time as the task has split into two areas.  The first is working with Josh on a tour-based street team.  We developed a small team consisting of music fans from across the nation.  We are taking things back and doing it "old-school" style... which means we are not mass-mailing people.  We are using one-on-one interaction to spread information about bands, shows, tours, etc.  We are interacting with our people and getting them excited about the music without bombarding them with junk mail.  On my end I've been doing a lot of the administrative work.  Creating the email address for our crew (the dedicated crew), compiling and organizing member info, sorting through emails, etc.  This week we completed a package to each of the people in the group which will ship out on Monday morning.  The package contains stickers, buttons, a "mix tape", tour dates, and a letter from me and Josh.  I think the response will be huge and will hopefully help the bands.  We will be sending out a second package in the next few weeks which will likely contain a few CD's, more stickers, and I (heart) DC shirts.  Overall, this is a fresh new way to approach things and we think the response will be most excellent.

The second facet to the street team is a website called FanCorps.  It's a management tool which allows us to post shows and distribute "orders" to the members.  I'll be working on growing this team which is specific to The White Tie Affair.  The goal is to recruit dedicated TWTA fans to join and promote the band at every opportunity.  Holding steady at approximately 100 members, we want to see it explode and expand to a larger number of active participants.  The more exposure for the band, the better.  This is also a great way for fans to become directly involved with the success of the band.  Without fans and a street team, it would be hard for the band to prosper.  Luckily, the band is good and there are some hardcore fans out there!  I think it's only a matter of time before the band experiences some larger growth.

On to radio... another part of my job has been comparing the radio stations that are currently spinning The White Tie Affair to their summer tour dates.  I've created a spread sheet which details all of the radio stations which fall near a concert city.  Now that the list is complete, I'll be contacting the stations to set up interviews and events for the band.  We're also looking for creative activities/events for the band to participate in... if you have any ideas, let me know! :)

Last, but not least, is the over-arching goal of "the big idea".  What is the best way to gain exposure for the band.  What are some new marketing ideas?  We're thinking huge, new, and out-of-the-box.  Again, any ideas are welcome!

That just about sums it up in a nut-shell.  It's been a busy couple of weeks.  Yesterday we had the pleasure of attending happy-hour in the conference room.  The event was held to introduce a new band signed by Epic.  There was food, beverage, and the band (The Script) did a three song, acoustic set.  They were pretty incredible.  You should definitely check them out.  They hail from Dublin and mix great vocal talent with R&B riffs.  It's a whole new sound that is really nifty!  www.thescriptmusic.com  While you're at it, check out the band I've been working on too... www.thewhitetieaffair.com

That about does it for this installment.  A lot has been going on and there's a lot yet to happen! Should you have any creative ideas for marketing the band, send them my way.  Until next time...  

No comments: