02 March 2008

Matthew Five

So... last night, I will admit, I was exhausted and fell asleep in the middle of chapter 5.  So here is the post, a day late... 

Verse: "Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."  - Matthew 5:42

Observations: This passage comes from the beatitudes where Jesus is teaching.  This section addresses "an eye for an eye" and how instead of getting even, you should turn the other cheek. In addition, Jesus is saying to always give more...

 Application: As I was reading, this verse stood out to me and I immediately thought of the beggars that are always at the 40th st/US 1 intersection... and throughout Miami.  While I don't often have cash on me, I'll admit I generally make sure my windows are rolled up and my eyes are diverted... which is dumb.  I mean, would eye contact be so bad?  I'm sure it wouldn't be, except to say I don't really have anything to give... and now I'm reminded of how much I have... and that in comparison I have plenty to give.  So why am I so uncomfortable?  I should be reaching out and giving more.  I've done it in the past, but I need to do it more when I'm able to help in some way.  I know this is a lot of rambling, but the point it... I, like most people, have a lot... and compared to the beggars and homeless that can be found out on the streets, I am very rich!  So I can start applying this verse by giving more.

Prayer: I pray for a softened heart and greater kindness and patience when coming across people who need help and allow me to be able to give to those who ask.

No comments: